Save on admission to the top Philadelphia attractions
Notice to CityPASS Travelers
To learn about temporary attraction closures, product expiration and validity, our return policy, and how to contact us, please visit our Support Center. Our thoughts are with our customers and friends around the world during these difficult times. We hope you are looking forward to future travels as much as we are. If you'd like to know when the attractions reopen, sign up for notifications.
- Discover the history of Eastern State through a self-guided audio tour, narrated by actor Steve Buscemi. Hear the real voices of former officers and inmates as the long-abandoned cellblocks come alive with sounds of daily life inside the ancient prison.
- Learn how to unlock a cell, open the massive front gate, and tour rarely-seen spaces such as the Hospital Block through Hands-On History tours. These interactive experiences are brief—5 to 20 minutes each—and are available throughout the day, all across the penitentiary complex.
- See Al Capone's recreated cell with fine furniture and a cabinet radio, where he got his first taste of prison life on Eastern State's "Park Avenue" cellblock.
- Consider the purpose and effectiveness of prisons today in the award-winning, interactive new exhibit "Prisons Today: Questions in the Age of Mass Incarceration."
EASTERN STATE PENITENTIARY
2027 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Open daily, 10am-5pm
Advice for Visitors
- Eastern State Penitentiary is open rain or shine, and the building does not have climate control. Summers can be quite hot, and winters can be quite chilly. Please dress for the weather, and be sure to wear appropriate footwear. Sandals, flip-flops, open-toed shoes, and high heels are not recommended.
- The Eastern State Challenge booklet is available complimentary for kids (ages 7-12). It provides an engaging scavenger hunt throughout the prison complex!
- While there are no dining facilities within the penitentiary complex, there are several wonderful restaurants in the surrounding neighborhood. If you prefer to bring a bagged lunch, there are picnic tables (uncovered) on the penitentiary baseball field.
- For everything you need to know to plan your visit, click here.
- Gift Shop: Museum Store
Accessibility: Click here for information on accessibility.
Parking/Transportation: Click here for information on parking, transportation and directions.
Groups: Groups of 15 or more: Please contact Eastern State Penitentiary's group sales department at (215) 236-5111 x240 or firstname.lastname@example.org with the date and time they will be arriving for a self-guided audio tour. Please mention you have purchased tickets through CityPASS.