Save on admission to the top Philadelphia attractions
Some attractions require reservations or have limited operating hours and days; see the CityPASS Travel Guide for details.
- Discover the history of Eastern State through a self-guided audio tour, narrated by actor Steve Buscemi. Hear the real voices of former officers and inmates as the long-abandoned cellblocks come alive with sounds of daily life inside the ancient prison.
- Learn how to unlock a cell, open the massive front gate, and tour rarely-seen spaces such as the Hospital Block through Hands-On History tours. These interactive experiences are brief—5 to 20 minutes each—and are available throughout the day, all across the penitentiary complex.
- See Al Capone's recreated cell with fine furniture and a cabinet radio, where he got his first taste of prison life on Eastern State's "Park Avenue" cellblock.
- Consider the purpose and effectiveness of prisons today in the award-winning, interactive new exhibit "Prisons Today: Questions in the Age of Mass Incarceration."
EASTERN STATE PENITENTIARY
2027 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Advice for Visitors
- Eastern State Penitentiary is open rain or shine, and the building does not have climate control. Summers can be quite hot, and winters can be quite chilly. Please dress for the weather, and be sure to wear appropriate footwear. Sandals, flip-flops, open-toed shoes, and high heels are not recommended.
- The Eastern State Challenge booklet is available complimentary for kids (ages 7-12). It provides an engaging scavenger hunt throughout the prison complex!
- While there are no dining facilities within the penitentiary complex, there are several wonderful restaurants in the surrounding neighborhood. If you prefer to bring a bagged lunch, there are picnic tables (uncovered) on the penitentiary baseball field.
- For everything you need to know to plan your visit, click here.
- Gift Shop: Museum Store
- Eastern State Penitentiary has safety protocols in place to ensure a safe environment for its guests and staff; learn more on their website.
Accessibility: Click here for information on accessibility.
Parking/Transportation: Click here for information on parking, transportation and directions.