Splash Out at the Adventure Aquarium
If admiring miniature 13-inch, three-pound penguins, glowering hammerhead sharks, and some very friendly hippos sounds like fun, head over to the Adventure Aquarium in Camden to spend a few hours amongst these and other aquatic residents. Informally known as the "Philadelphia" or "Philly" Aquarium (due to its proximity to the cheesesteak capital of the world), the Adventure Aquarium is bursting with sea life from around the world in extravagant exhibits and massive glass tanks. It serves as a reminder of the majesty that exists within the ocean's depths and the incredible diversity of the animals that call the sea their home.
Exhibits and Attractions at the Adventure Aquarium
Plan to spend at least two to three hours wandering among the varied exhibits at the Adventure Aquarium, where outdoor and indoor activities will appeal to visitors of all ages. With so many exciting animals to learn about, it's hard to choose what to see first!
- 3-D Theater: A flick on oceanic animals becomes an immersive 3-D experience thanks to this charming theater's powerful projections and sound system.
- Caribbean Currents: Escape the winter doldrums by gazing at brightly-colored fish, eels, and delicate sea horses that populate this tropical-themed exhibit.
- Creature Feature: Get your hands wet at this hands-on touch pool, where you'll get to feel some spiny, slimy, and slick invertebrates of the sea.
- Hippo Haven: Meet the girls, Button and Genny, and watch as they enjoy a swim or interact with their neighbors: uromastyx, shield tailed agamas, and even a feisty gray parrot.
- KidZone: Tots ages six and under will jump at the chance to see frogs from all over the world and hold several different types of shrimp and crabs in the Grotto touch tank.
- Little Blue Beach: A replica of an Australian beachfront, this exhibit showcases little blue penguins frolicking above and below the water.
- Ocean Realm: This massive tank has a viewing space the size of two movie screens and is filled with creatures like the great hammerhead shark, loggerhead sea turtles, and silky shark, all gliding effortlessly through 760,000 gallons of water.
- Penguin Park: Perfect for younger visitors to burn off energy, this outdoor exhibit is home to a flock of African penguins and offers plenty of kid-friendly climbing options.
- Piranha Falls: These sharp-toothed creatures call the Amazon River home, but this multi-sensory experience makes you feel as if you're right next to them in the water.
- Sea Turtle Cove: Learn all about the dangers these gentle creatures face – from habitat destruction to climate change – as they navigate a challenging path to adulthood.
- Shark Bridge: Do you dare to walk this giant rope suspension bridge, just inches over a half-million-gallon tank filled with sand tiger, nurse, and sandbar sharks? Try it, and you won't regret your choice!
- Shark Realm: Make your way through a 40-foot glass tunnel as sharks glide by, staring at you with a predator's eyes.
- Stingray Beach Club: Life is always a beach at the Stingray Beach Club, where warm water hosts mild-manner cownose and southern stingrays that are waiting for you to feed them and give them a pat.
- Touch a Shark: Not all sharks are as deadly as the great white. Most are harmless enough for you to get an up-close look and feel as they traverse a touch tank in this hands-on exhibit.
- Animal Feedings: Check the official schedule at the Aquarium when you arrive for the day's feeding schedule. Depending on when you visit, there's a good chance you'll be able to watch the trainers as they feed the hippos, African penguins, little blue penguins, and more.
In addition to the general exhibits, you could also pay a little extra to indulge in a unique animal encounter: one-on-one time with some charming Adventure Aquarium residents, like penguins, sea turtles, and stingrays.
Know Before You Go: Visiting the Adventure Aquarium
Want to know the best time to visit, where to park, and how to get tickets? We've got all your inside information to help you plan your day at the Adventure Aquarium.
Camden Adventure Aquarium Hours
Operating hours for the Adventure Aquarium in Camden vary by day and season. Check the official website for operating hours on the day you plan to visit. To avoid the crowds, try to visit in the afternoon during the week, or before 11am on weekends.
Adventure Aquarium Tickets and Pricing
Ticket prices for the Adventure Aquarium in Camden depend on visitor age. You can purchase tickets to the Adventure Aquarium online or at the ticket office when you arrive.
Alternatively, if you're looking for an Adventure Aquarium discount, look no further than Philadelphia CityPASS. A CityPASS offers savings on Adventure Aquarium tickets, as well as lower-priced admission to other top Philadelphia tourist attractions like the Battleship New Jersey Museum and Memorial, Museum of the American Revolution, the Philadelphia Zoo, and more. You'll save up to off regular admission prices! It's the perfect way to see the best of what the city has to offer without paying full price.
Adventure Aquarium Parking
The Adventure Aquarium is close enough to Philadelphia that you can take public transportation (bus or ferry) or drive there from Center City in under 20 minutes. Adventure Aquarium parking is conveniently located nearby, and prices are available on the official website.
Whether you're fascinated by sea life or simply looking for a fun place to spend a few hours admiring amazing animals, you won't regret visiting the Adventure Aquarium. It's an enjoyable combination of education and wonderment that will open your eyes to the profuse diversity of oceanic life.
To get the most out of your stay in Philadelphia, we recommend finding lodging near Philadelphia's top attractions like Adventure Aquarium. Use this map to find the right lodging for you:
Come Face to Face With Your Favorite Sea Creatures With CityPASS
Don't pay full price to visit the Adventure Aquarium or Philadelphia's top attractions. With Philadelphia CityPASS, score up to in savings on must-see Philadelphia hot spots like The Franklin Institute, the Please Touch Museum, One Liberty Observation Deck, Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, and more. Plus, with your CityPASS, you have up to 9 consecutive days to hit all the locations on your list. Visit Philadelphia CityPASS to learn more!
Header Image Courtesy of Adventure Aquarium