Articles by City & Category
Atlanta Nightlife: 6 Memorable Experiences You Can't Miss
August 4, 2022 By CityPASS
Shopping, dining, sightseeing...Atlanta offers a lot to keep you busy all day long. But what if you crave a night out on the town? If so, you're in luck; the nightlife in Atlanta is nothing short of legendary.
Atlanta, Georgia, has a lot to offer visitors and tourists. Whether your idea of the perfect night out involves the hottest dance clubs or the coolest patios, prowling the nightlife scene for photography or sampling as much food as possible, you should have no trouble making memories.
To up the ante, we've highlighted things to do in Atlanta after dark that you won't want to miss out on.
1. Partake in an All-Night Dance Party at the MJQ Concourse
Ready to show off your best dance moves? Look no further than the MJQ Concourse, a beloved club where you can party all night with Atlanta's finest. This memorable destination brings a whole new meaning to the concept of the underground club. After all, it literally is located underground.
The club's speakeasy vibes go beyond its physical location to also incorporate an exclusive word-of-mouth approach. MJQ pares back the social media spectacle and, instead, relies on local insiders to get the word out.
Other perks include reasonably priced drinks and a diverse crowd. This is where music lovers from all backgrounds gather to cut loose. Arrive prepared with plenty of cash, as a card won't get you far at this club. Thankfully, an ATM is available.
2. "Sip Under the Sea" With Aquatic Creatures at the Georgia Aquarium
The Georgia Aquarium is a remarkable destination during the day, but its inherent beauty takes on otherworldly vibes after dark. Witness this spectacle up close during one of the aquarium's Sip Under the Sea events. Limited to guests aged 21 and up, this sophisticated occasion brings a whole new feel to one of Atlanta's top attractions.
If nothing else, Sip Under the Sea is worth attending so you can sample the area's most exquisite cocktails. Several excellent dining options are also provided. Grab a beverage, hit the dance floor, and celebrate in style. When you need a break, you can stroll the galleries without worrying about daytime crowds.
3. Take in a Concert at a Music Venue
The music scene in Atlanta is eclectic and high-energy. No matter your preferred genre, whether hip-hop or rock, you can always find a fun concert to attend.
You'll find a wealth of options throughout the city, including both intimate venues and huge concert halls. When in doubt, you can't go wrong checking out these amazing music destinations:
- Eddie's Attic: The brief drive to Decatur is more than worthwhile for the sake of seeing acoustic artists before they hit it big. From Shawn Mullins to John Mayer, many musicians got their start pleasing the passionate crowd at this intimate venue.
- Northside Tavern: Previously a gas station, this amazing dive now boasts live music seven days a week (and cheap beers). Blues and soul dominate, with musicians from near and far making appearances at the Monday Night Jam.
- Terminal West: Once a foundry and now the hottest midsize venue in town, Terminal West maintains its original factory vibes but also delivers exceptional audio production and plenty of bars to keep wait times low.
- The Tabernacle: Another midsize venue worth checking out, this former church brings a diverse lineup downtown. It originated as a House of Blues club during the 1996 Olympics, but it has remained a relevant destination since then.
4. Go on a Bar Hop Adventure in Midtown Atlanta
Easily Atlanta's trendiest neighborhood, Midtown boasts the biggest parties in town. You will do yourself a disservice by sticking to just one club or lounge, as the district's bars are so distinct. Don't see any sweaty club appeal? Instead, find sports bars in West Midtown or more upscale locations that fit your preferences.
At minimum, plan to hit up these essentials:
- Moxy Bar. Don't let Moxy's status as a hotel bar drive you away. An eclectic cocktail selection is sure to keep you happy, as will memorable details such as a mural, records, and shuffleboard.
- The Lawrence. This gorgeous patio beckons you to take a break and enjoy signature bourbon in style. The atmosphere is upscale, yet unpretentious.
- Halo Lounge. A backlit onyx bar instantly sets this Midtown favorite apart. It takes some effort to locate this hip West Peachtree spot, but you'll be glad you did.
- Fado Irish Pub. Discover the appeal of a traditional Irish pub experience at this Midtown gem, where you can always expect soccer on the TV and plenty of pints of Guinness.
5. Laugh Nonstop at an Atlanta Comedy Club
Treat yourself to a few chuckles at one of Atlanta's iconic comedy clubs. There, you can hear the best punchlines from up-and-coming comedians or well-known acts. Giggle-worthy venues include:
- Laughing Skull Lounge. Situated at the back of The Vortex, this intimate venue hosts the city's most hilarious open mic nights, not to mention a Best of Atlanta Showcase that calls attention to several deserving comedians.
- The Punchline. Welcoming plenty of big names to Atlanta, this premier destination has hosted the likes of Eddie Murphy and Dave Chappelle. Strong drinks and delicious dinner meals amp up an already amazing experience.
- Fifth Place Comedy. Local comics come out of the woodwork for Fifth Place Comedy events, which bring consistent laughs to the Joystick Gamebar and the Pour Taproom. Discover for yourself why Atlanta's comedy scene is so remarkable.
6. Receive a Late-Night Lesson at Fernbank After Dark
The Fernbank Museum of Natural History might not seem like the most exciting nightlife destination, but you may be surprised by how much you enjoy such academic pursuits after dark.
Fernbank's monthly series brings new life to a beloved museum by adding tapas and alcoholic beverages to the mix (for those who are 21 or older). Memorable exhibits and experiments encourage you to observe scientific phenomena through new eyes.
Live music is often a central part of the experience. These evenings book up weeks in advance, so aim to reserve your spot ahead of time.
Add to Your Fun With a Ticket Bundle
It doesn't matter if you want to eat at Ponce City Market or find the most happening club in town. No matter which types of Atlanta attractions you find compelling, you should have no trouble finding unique ways to keep entertained without breaking the bank. Maximize your daytime fun with an Atlanta CityPASS® ticket bundle, which helps you make the most of your travel budget, then experience downtown Atlanta nightlife to create unforgettable memories.
Lodging in Atlanta
To get the most out of your stay in Atlanta, we recommend finding lodging near Atlanta's top attractions. Use this map to find the right lodging for you: