Houston CityPASS » Houston Museum of Natural Science
Houston Museum of Natural Science
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is one of the nation’s most heavily-attended museums, with diverse and extraordinary offerings and four floors of exhibit halls. See the new world-class Paleontology Hall. It’s the length of a football field, and is one of the most dynamic paleo halls in the world. A trip to HMNS is always an adventure. Host to world-class touring exhibitions, something will delight everyone.
5555 Hermann Park Drive
Open daily, 9am-5pm
Hours subject to change for holidays, special exhibitions and other events; see details.
Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Exhibit halls general admission to one of the nation’s favorite natural science museums.
- Four floors of dynamic permanent exhibit halls encompass gems and minerals,wildlife, fossils, ancient history, chemistry and more.
- The new Paleontology Hall contains more than 450 dinosaur fossils and casts and shows predators and prey in action — chasing, eating and escaping as they struggle for life.
- Discover more than 450 beautifully crystallized mineral specimens, including some of the world's most rare and beautiful examples, including a 2000 carat blue topaz crystal.
- The Smith Gem Vault showcases stunning, custom-made jewelry set with some of the world's largest, finest and most rare cut gemstones.
Present CityPASS booklet or voucher in the box office at the window for "Members/Corporate".
Special Exhibits Included with CityPASS
Gemstone Carvings: The Masterworks of Harold Van Pelt
For over 35 years, Harold Van Pelt has quietly been perfecting the art of carving quartz, rock crystal and agate gemstones. Working the stone down to paper-thin walls brings out the gorgeous natural quality and colors of the agate and gives quartz the transparency of glass. Transformed by one man’s vision and skill from a solid stone to an incredibly delicate work of art, the gemstone carvings of Harold Van Pelt have to be seen to be believed.
Penguins of the Antarctic: A Photographic Expedition
Through October 27, 2013
Traveling along the ice shelves of the Antarctic from Atka Bay to Halley Station, painter, naturalist and photographer J.J. L'Heureux turns her camera to the emperor penguins and their adaptations to the cold and wind of the continent.
Upgrades for CityPASS Holders
3D Wortham Giant Screen Theater: Reduced cost for CityPASS holders: all ages 3+, $8.
Cockrell Butterfly Center: Includes access to the Brown Hall of Entomology. Reduced cost for CityPASS holders: all ages 3+, $6.
Burke Baker Planetarium Show: Reduced cost for CityPASS holders: all ages 3+, $6.
Fabergé: A Brilliant Vision: Through 2013. Reduced cost for CityPASS holders: adult $10; child $8. This exhibit requires a timed entry ticket.
Advice for Visitors
- Thursdays 3-6pm (Sep-May, Thursdays 2-5pm) are free to the public and may be more crowded.
- Weekday and weekend mornings may be crowded due to student groups.
- Crowd intensity information is available by calling (713) 639-4629.
- 3D Wortham Giant Screen Theater is busiest from 9-11am (Additional entrance fee required).
Parking: Paid parking available in HMNS’s 6-story garage located on Caroline, just south of Hermann Drive. Some curbside parking available near museum entrance and in Hermann Park.
Dining: Food and beverages are not allowed inside the museum exhibit halls or theaters. McDonald's is located within the main lobby.
Accessibility: Handicapped access to all venues.
Gift Shop: Museum Store located at museum's main entrance.
METRORail train: Traveling southbound (Fannin South), exit train at Museum District Station. Walk southbound along Fannin to Hermann Drive, turn right on Hermann to museum.
Groups of 15 or more: Call (713) 639-4601.
Plan Your Visit to Houston - Use our collection of Houston attraction and city resources - including transportation and attraction information, maps, forums and more - to better plan your CityPASS trip.
Skip most ticket lines
with your CityPASS
Perfect for a weekend
or up to nine days
Same Low Price
Buy now or at any CityPASS
attraction for the same low price
Five attraction tickets
in one easy purchase