Chicago CityPASS » Art Institute of Chicago
Art Institute of Chicago
No trip to Chicago is complete without a visit to the Art Institute, the second-largest art museum in the nation. Experience the greatest Impressionist collection outside Paris and see contemporary masterpieces in the spectacular Modern Wing. Stand before classics like American Gothic and travel the globe through new galleries devoted to the art of ancient Greece, Japan, Africa and ancient Americas.
111 South Michigan Avenue
Mon‑Wed & Fri‑Sun, 10:30am‑5pm
Closed New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day
Audio tour and admission to all permanent collections and non-ticketed special exhibitions
- The Art Institute is the nation’s second largest art museum.
- The Modern Wing contains works by Dalí, Matisse, Miró, Picasso, Pollock, and Warhol.
- View one of the world's finest Impressionist collections, including masterpieces by Monet, Degas, Renoir, Seurat, Gauguin, and van Gogh.
- CityPASS admission includes an audio tour.
- Free art-making activities are available for children each weekend from 11am to 2pm.
- Free guided tours are available daily at noon.
- Visit the Family Room and introduce your child to the museum’s encyclopedic collection with a variety of hands-on activities. Assemble puzzles based on masterpieces you’ll see in the galleries, build architectural wonders with colorful blocks, and learn about art through interactive stories and games at Curious Corner.
- Generations of visitors to the Art Institute of Chicago have been entranced by the Thorne Miniature Rooms. These rooms offer a detailed view of European residences from the 16th century through the 1930s and American homes from the 17th century to 1940, not to mention a "heightened" sense of self.
- The past returns as over 550 works from 4,000 years of art come together in Of Gods and Glamour, located in the beautiful new Mary and Michael Jaharis Galleries of Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Art.
Present CityPASS booklet or voucher at the main admission desk to exchange for an entrance ticket.
Advice for Visitors
- Familiarize yourself with the museum before you go using the Pathfinder Interactive Floor Plan.
- Take a free gallery tour at noon with one of the museum's education lecturers.
- Stop in at the Family Room in the Ryan Education Center, open daily from 10:30am-5pm, and let your little masters explore our collection with hands-on activities.
- Check out the Lion’s Trail audio tour for children. This tour is specially designed for the youngsters in your group!
Parking: Underground parking is available at East Monroe Street garage, Millennium Park garage, Grant Park south garage and Grant Park north garage; see details or call (312) 616-0600.
In addition, valet parking is available at the Modern Wing entrance (159 East Monroe St.) every day from 10:30am until 30 minutes after closing for $20 (cash only).
Dining: The Garden Café, Terzo Piano, Caffé Moderno
Accessibility: Wheelchairs available at no charge. Elevators accommodate wheelchairs and scooters. Additional resources available; see details.
Self-Guide: Audio guide available at entrance (free with CityPASS). Families, ask for the Lions Trail Family Tour, designed for children age 5-10. Special-interest tours and apps available for download; see details.
Gift Shop: The Main Museum Shop, The Asian/Exhibition Shop, and The Modern Wing Shop
Coat Check: $1 per item
CTA trains: Take the Green, Brown, Pink, or Orange Line to Adams; Red and Blue Line to Jackson
CTA buses: 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 14, 26, X28, 126, 143
Plan Your Visit to Chicago - Use our collection of Chicago attraction and city resources - including transportation and attraction information, maps, forums and more - to better plan your CityPASS trip.
Skip most ticket lines
with your CityPASS
Perfect for a weekend
or up to nine days
Same Low Price
Buy now or at any CityPASS
attraction for the same low price
Five attraction tickets
in one easy purchase