San Francisco CityPASS » Exploratorium
Now open at its new home at Pier 15, the Exploratorium is the global leader in informal learning, igniting curiosity and inspiring creativity in people of all ages. Explore nearly 600 hands-on exhibits, including 150 new experiences, and enjoy breathtaking views of the city and bay in the spectacular glass-and-steel Bay Observatory.
Open Thursday evenings 6pm-10pm for ages 18+ only; cash bar.
Special Monday holiday hours may apply; see website for details.
Closed Mondays, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
General admission to join this museum’s ongoing exploration of science, art, and human perception. Please note: In the event that demand exceeds capacity, admittance is not guaranteed.
- Explore the environment with artworks, installations, and exhibits in the Outdoor Gallery.
- Find out how we interpret our surroundings and interact with one another in the West Gallery.
- Experiment with the sights, sounds, and experiences of perception in the Central Gallery.
- Examine life at different scales—from tiny microbes to the interconnected ecosystems of the bay—in the East Gallery.
- Enjoy breathtaking views of city and bay as you investigate the environment in the site’s one new building—the spectacular glass-and-steel Bay Observatory.
- Explore more than 500 hands-on exhibits, including 150 new experiences created by our artists and scientists—25% more than at our Palace of Fine Arts location.
- Watch as exhibits are being created in the open-to-view Machine Shop.
- Get hands-on with open tinkering, building, and making activities in our expanded Tinkering Studio.
Present CityPASS booklet or voucher at the Buy Ticket line.
Upgrades for CityPASS Holders
Tactile Dome: Call (415) 528-4362 for reservations or purchase a ticket upon arrival at the Buy Ticket line. Cost for CityPASS holders: $15.The Dome is not recommended for persons with neck, back, or knee injuries; claustrophobia; fear of the dark; or women in their last trimester of pregnancy. Youth must be at least 7 years old to participate. The Dome is an active experience so dress accordingly.
Advice for Visitors
- Lines tend to be shorter on weekday afternoons and Wednesday evenings.
- Get hands-on and make something in the Tinkering Studio.
- Adults (18+) don't miss Exploratorium After Dark, an evening series that mixes cocktails (cash bar) and conversation with innovative science and art events; first Thursday of each month, 6-10pm.
Parking: Nearby parking lot.
Dining: The SEAGLASS Restaurant (located in the Bay Observatory); Seismic Joint Café (a grab-and-go café along the Embarcadero)
Accessibility: Exhibition spaces, store, café, and all public restrooms wheelchair accessible. Wheelchairs available for no charge. Service animals welcome.
Self-Guide: Become part of the experiment with Sound Uncovered and Color Uncovered, two interactive books from the Exploratorium, available for free from the iTunes App Store.
Gift Shop: Exploratorium Store
MUNI: Take the F streetcar line to the Embarcadero & Green St. stop.
Groups of 10 or more: Call (415) 528-4444.
Plan Your Visit to San Francisco - Use our collection of San Francisco attraction and city resources - including transportation and attraction information, maps, forums and more - to better plan your CityPASS trip.
CityPASS can be purchased online or at any of our participating San Francisco attractions.
Same low price
Buy now or at any CityPASS
attraction for the same low price
Take your time
Valid for 9 days from first use
Skip ticket lines
Save time with easy access
at most attractions
Buy Nowor at any CityPASS attraction
|Adult ages 12+||Enter Qty||
|Child ages 5–11||Enter Qty||
See The Savings
How you save 42%
Plan your visit
Useful details to help
prepare you for your trip
Learn how to add Alcatraz to
your San Francisco CityPASS
Watch a video
See what you get with
San Francisco CityPASS
View a booklet
Take a look inside a
San Francisco CityPASS
Travel with us
Access us from the road
on your mobile device
Happy travelers since 1997