Choose delivery during checkout: Email voucher or ship ticket booklets. ?
Now open at Pier 15 on the Embarcadero, along San Francisco’s waterfront, the Exploratorium is a unique interactive museum dedicated to the excitement of experimentation, the pleasure of discovery, and the power of play. Explore more than 600 hands-on exhibits and enjoy breathtaking views of the city and the bay.
General admission to join this museum’s ongoing exploration of science, art, and human perception. Please note: In the event that demand exceeds capacity, admittance is not guaranteed.
Open Thursday evenings 6pm-10pm for ages 18+ only; cash bar.
Special Monday holiday hours may apply; see website for details.
Closed Mondays, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
- Explore the environment with artworks, installations, and exhibits in the Outdoor Gallery.
- Find out how we interpret our surroundings and interact with one another in the West Gallery.
- Experiment with the sights, sounds, and experiences of perception in the Central Gallery.
- Examine life at different scales—from tiny microbes to the interconnected ecosystems of the bay—in the East Gallery.
- Enjoy breathtaking views of city and bay as you investigate the environment in the site’s one new building—the spectacular glass-and-steel Bay Observatory.
- Explore more than 500 hands-on exhibits, including 150 new experiences created by our artists and scientists—25% more than at our Palace of Fine Arts location.
- Watch as exhibits are being created in the open-to-view Machine Shop.
- Get hands-on with open tinkering, building, and making activities in our expanded Tinkering Studio.
Present CityPASS booklet or voucher at the Ticketing Desk.
Upgrades for CityPASS Holders
Tactile Dome: Call (415) 528-4362 for reservations or purchase a ticket upon arrival at the Buy Ticket line. Cost for CityPASS holders: $15.The Dome is not recommended for persons with neck, back, or knee injuries; claustrophobia; fear of the dark; or women in their last trimester of pregnancy. Youth must be at least 7 years old to participate. The Dome is an active experience so dress accordingly.
Advice for Visitors
- Lines tend to be shorter on weekday afternoons and Wednesday evenings.
- Get hands-on and make something in the Tinkering Studio.
- Adults (18+) don't miss Exploratorium After Dark, an evening series that mixes cocktails (cash bar) and conversation with innovative science and art events; first Thursday of each month, 6-10pm.
Parking: Nearby parking lot.
Dining: The SEAGLASS Restaurant (located in the Bay Observatory); Seismic Joint Café (a grab-and-go café along the Embarcadero)
Accessibility: Exhibition spaces, store, café, and all public restrooms wheelchair accessible. Wheelchairs available for no charge. Service animals welcome.
Self-Guide: Become part of the experiment with Sound Uncovered and Color Uncovered, two interactive books from the Exploratorium, available for free from the iTunes App Store.
Gift Shop: Exploratorium Store
MUNI: Take the F streetcar line to the Embarcadero & Green St. stop.
Groups of 10 or more: Call (415) 528-4444.
Plan Your Visit to San Francisco - Use our collection of San Francisco tourist attraction and city resources - including transportation and attraction information, maps, forums and more - to better plan your CityPASS trip.
CityPASS can be purchased online or at any of our participating San Francisco attractions.
Top 4 reasons you'll love CityPASS
See The Savings
How you save 47%
Plan your visit
Useful details to help
prepare you for your trip
Learn how to add Alcatraz to
your San Francisco CityPASS
Watch a video
See what you get with
San Francisco CityPASS
View a booklet
Take a look inside a
San Francisco CityPASS
Travel with us
Access us from the road
on your mobile device
Happy travelers since 1997