San Francisco CityPASS » California Academy of Sciences
California Academy of Sciences
The World’s only aquarium-planetarium-rainforest-living museum. Come face to face with penguins and piranhas, climb into the canopy of a four-story rainforest, and stop and smell the wildflowers on a 2.5-acre living roof. From the depths of a Philippine coral reef to the outer reaches of the Universe, it’s all inside the California Academy of Sciences.
Golden Gate Park
Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
General admission to all exhibits including the aquarium, rainforest, planetarium, natural history museum, and living roof.
- Steinhart Aquarium hosts 38,000 live animals from around the world.
- A symphony of croaking frogs and chirping birds await you inside a living 4-story rainforest.
- CityPASS includes a planetarium show on the largest all-digital dome in the world.
- Animal Attraction explores the wildest animal courtship and mating strategies.
- Human Odyssey, new in February 2013, interactively documents the evolution of Homo sapiens and features skull casts of three early human species, as well as a full-scale reproduction of the famous Lucy skeleton.
Present CityPASS booklet at the regular admission gate to skip the main ticket line. Exchange voucher for a CityPASS booklet at the main ticket office, then proceed to the regular admission line.
Special Exhibits Included with CityPASS
Through August 2013
Don’t miss Earthquake, a major new exhibit and planetarium show exploring the seismic science that has shaped Earth’s evolution and continues to impact our lives today.
Built for Speed
Through September 29, 2013
From speedy ocean animals to the world’s fastest sailboats, find out what it takes to be swift in the sea. Learn about the fascinating adaptations of the ocean’s fastest animals, examine a sailboat designed by ORACLE TEAM USA, defender of the 34th America’s Cup, and more!
Upgrades for CityPASS Holders
Premium Tour: Available to CityPASS holders on day of visit for an additional upgrade cost (subject to availability).
NightLife: Every Thursday night, music, creatures and cocktails come together for NightLife at the California Academy of Sciences. Each week features a live band or DJ, and a unique theme – from salsa dancing to sustainable seafood and beyond. For ages 21+. Cost: $12.
Advice for Visitors
- Weekdays are less crowded than weekends.
- Upon arrival, stop first at the Planetarium entrance kiosk to secure a show time.
- The third Wednesday of each month, admission is free to residents and may be much more crowded.
- The free Academy Insider iPhone App is a great way to enhance and plan for your visit; details and download.
Parking: Music Concourse Parking Facility; includes 15 wheelchair-accessible spots.
Dining: Academy Café, The Moss Room
Accessibility: Wheelchairs and assistive listening devices upon request. Audio tours available for blind or partially sighted visitors. Service animals allowed.
Gift Shop: Academy Store, Lab Jr.
Coat Check: In front lobby
MUNI Bus lines: The 44 bus line stops in front. Line 5 stops adjacent to the park.
N-Judah Streetcar: Stops at 9th Avenue, a five-minute walk to the Academy.
Groups of 10 or more: Call (415) 379-5211.
Plan Your Visit to San Francisco - Use our collection of San Francisco attraction and city resources - including transportation and attraction information, maps, forums and more - to better plan your CityPASS trip.
Skip most ticket lines
with your CityPASS
Perfect for a weekend
or up to nine days
Same Low Price
Buy now or at any CityPASS
attraction for the same low price
Four attraction tickets plus
transportation in one easy purchase
Buy Nowor at any CityPASS attraction
|Adult ages 12+||Enter Qty||
|Child ages 5–11||Enter Qty||
I got the city pass when I was going to be in San Fran for 5 days. The unlimited MUNI was such a lifesaver, and the museums were the highlight of the trip. I wasn't able to visit everything in the time I had, but I still more than made up for the cost of the booklet. Absolutely must have!