San Francisco CityPASS » California Academy of Sciences
California Academy of Sciences
The World’s only aquarium-planetarium-rainforest-living museum. Come face to face with penguins and piranhas, climb into the canopy of a four-story rainforest, and stop and smell the wildflowers on a 2.5-acre living roof. From the depths of a Philippine coral reef to the outer reaches of the Universe, it’s all inside the California Academy of Sciences.
Golden Gate Park
Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
General admission to all exhibits including the aquarium, rainforest, planetarium, natural history museum, and living roof.
- Steinhart Aquarium hosts 38,000 live animals from around the world.
- A symphony of croaking frogs and chirping birds await you inside a living 4-story rainforest.
- CityPASS includes a planetarium show on the largest all-digital dome in the world.
- Animal Attraction explores the wildest animal courtship and mating strategies.
- Human Odyssey, new in February 2013, interactively documents the evolution of Homo sapiens and features skull casts of three early human species, as well as a full-scale reproduction of the famous Lucy skeleton.
Present CityPASS booklet at the regular admission gate to skip the main ticket line. Exchange voucher for a CityPASS booklet at the main ticket office, then proceed to the regular admission line.
Special Exhibits Included with CityPASS
Through January 31, 2017
Don’t miss Earthquake, a major new exhibit and planetarium show exploring the seismic science that has shaped Earth’s evolution and continues to impact our lives today.
Through January 30, 2014
Now showing in the Morrison Planetarium. Narrated by Robert Redford, this dazzling, high-impact, all-digital space show features images from space and immersive visualizations based on scientific data, revealing the explosive encounters that shaped our solar system, changed the course of life on Earth, and continue to transform our galaxy and Universe.
Upgrades for CityPASS Holders
Premium Tour: Available to CityPASS holders on day of visit for an additional upgrade cost (subject to availability).
NightLife: Every Thursday night, music, creatures and cocktails come together for NightLife at the California Academy of Sciences. Each week features a live band or DJ, and a unique theme – from salsa dancing to sustainable seafood and beyond. For ages 21+. Cost: $12.
Advice for Visitors
- Weekdays are less crowded than weekends.
- Upon arrival, stop first at the Planetarium entrance kiosk to secure a show time.
- The Academy is free to everyone on selected Sundays throughout the year: June 2, 2013; September 29, 2013; and December 8, 2013. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis, and early arrival is recommended due to the likelihood of high demand.
- The free Academy Insider iPhone App is a great way to enhance and plan for your visit; details and download.
Parking: Music Concourse Parking Facility; includes 15 wheelchair-accessible spots.
Dining: Academy Café, The Moss Room
Accessibility: Wheelchairs and assistive listening devices upon request. Audio tours available for blind or partially sighted visitors. Service animals allowed.
Gift Shop: Academy Store, Lab Jr.
Coat Check: In front lobby
MUNI Bus lines: The 44 bus line stops in front. Line 5 stops adjacent to the park.
N-Judah Streetcar: Stops at 9th Avenue, a five-minute walk to the Academy.
Groups of 10 or more: Call (415) 379-5211.
Plan Your Visit to San Francisco - Use our collection of San Francisco attraction and city resources - including transportation and attraction information, maps, forums and more - to better plan your CityPASS trip.
CityPASS can be purchased online or at any of our participating San Francisco attractions.
Same low price
Buy now or at any CityPASS
attraction for the same low price
Take your time
Valid for 9 days from first use
Skip ticket lines
Save time with easy access
at most attractions
Buy Nowor at any CityPASS attraction
|Adult ages 12+||Enter Qty||
|Child ages 5–11||Enter Qty||
See The Savings
How you save 42%
Plan your visit
Useful details to help
prepare you for your trip
Learn how to add Alcatraz to
your San Francisco CityPASS
Watch a video
See what you get with
San Francisco CityPASS
View a booklet
Take a look inside a
San Francisco CityPASS
Travel with us
Access us from the road
on your mobile device
Happy travelers since 1997