Save 47% on admission to the top 5 Philadelphia attractions with CityPASS.
- See Al Capone’s cell, restored to its appearance during Capone’s stay.
- Tour cellblocks, solitary punishment cells, Death Row, and the newly restored Alfred W. Fleisher Memorial Synagogue.
- Hold the keys to the cellblocks with Hands-on History interactive experiences – short demonstrations that allow visitors to participate in physical activities around the prison, such as opening the massive front gate.
- Take an intimate walking tour of Eastern State Penitentiary’s cellblocks and yards with "The Voices of Eastern State" audio tour, including the voices of three former wardens and twenty-five guards and inmates.
EASTERN STATE PENITENTIARY
2027 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130
22nd St. and Fairmont Ave., 5 blocks from Philadelphia Museum of Art
Open daily, 10am-5pm
Last entry at 4pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve.
Terror Behind the Walls: Additional fee required; see details.
Advice for Visitors
- ESP is not recommended for children under age seven.
- CityPASS holders join the next available tour; reservations are not necessary in summer but are strongly recommended for Winter Adventure Tour (December-March) by calling (215) 236-3300.
- Dress comfortably and wear walking shoes - it’s essentially an outdoor tour.
- The Fairmount Neighborhood (Center City Philadelphia), is only a few blocks from City Hall and is accessible by Phila Trolly Works and Big Bus. There's an abundant array of corner cafes, neighborhood pubs and some of Philadelphia’s finest restaurants.
- Bring a camera - ESP may be the most photogenic place you see in years.
- Dining: Bring a picnic lunch; outdoor seating is available on penitentiary baseball diamond.
- Gift Shops: Penitentiary Store
Accessibility: Tour route with ADA-compliant ramps; meets most ADA guidelines. Guide dogs and service animals are welcome. Museum gift shop accessible only by set of 3 steps; see details.
Parking/Transportation: Click here for information on parking, transportation and directions.
Groups: Groups of 15 or more: Call (215) 236-5111 x10.