Choose delivery during checkout: Email voucher or ship ticket booklets. ?
Eastern State Penitentiary
Known for its grand architecture and strict discipline, Eastern State Penitentiary stands today in ruin, a haunting world of crumbling cellblocks and a surprising, eerie beauty. Tours include Al Capone’s cell, Death Row and critically-acclaimed artist installations.
General admission to this historical prison that dates back to 1829 and housed infamous criminals such as Al Capone; not recommended for children under seven.
2027 Fairmount Avenue
22nd St. and Fairmont Ave., 5 blocks from Philadelphia Museum of Art
Open daily, 10am-5pm
Last entry at 4pm
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve.
- From April-November, The Voices of Eastern State audio tour narrated by Steve Buscemi guides you; from December-March, live expert tour guides lead your experience.
- See Al Capone’s cell, restored to its appearance during Capone’s stay
- Tour cellblocks, solitary punishment cells, Death Row, and the newly restored Alfred W. Fleisher Memorial Synagogue.
- TowerCam! gives you the vivid perspective of the view from the central tower.
Present CityPASS booklet or voucher at the main ticket office. Advanced reservations are recommended December-March for Winter Adventure Tour by calling (215) 236-3300.
Upgrades for CityPASS Holders
Terror Behind the Walls: Additional fee required; see details.
Advice for Visitors
- ESP is not recommended for children under age seven; see details.
- CityPASS holders join the next available tour; reservations are not necessary in summer but are strongly recommended for Winter Adventure Tour (December-March) by calling (215) 236-3300.
- Dress comfortably and wear walking shoes - it’s essentially an outdoor tour.
- The Fairmount Neighborhood (Center City Philadelphia), is only a few blocks from City Hall and is accessible by Phila Trolly Works and Big Bus. There's an abundant array of corner cafes, neighborhood pubs and some of Philadelphia’s finest restaurants.
- Bring a camera - ESP may be the most photogenic place you see in years.
Parking: Adjacent lot, $3-10; call (215) 569-8400 x4037 for information. On-street parking also available.
Dining: Bring a picnic lunch; outdoor seating on penitentiary baseball diamond.
Accessibility: Tour route with ADA-compliant ramps; meets most ADA guidelines. Guide dogs and service animals are welcome. Museum gift shop accessible only by set of 3 steps; See details.
Self-Guide: April-November, The Voices of Eastern State audio tour narrated by actor Steve Buscemi is included with CityPASS admission.
Gift Shop: Penitentiary Store
Public Transportation: SEPTA bus routes 48, 43, 33, 32 and 7; for SEPTA schedules and info, (215) 580-7800.
Trolley Tour & Big Bus: Stop 11 (Today and Tomorrow Ticket is included with CityPASS).
Groups of 15 or more: Call (215) 236-5111 x10.
Plan Your Visit to Philadelphia - Use our collection of Philadelphia tourist attraction and city resources - including transportation and attraction information, maps, forums and more - to better plan your CityPASS trip.
CityPASS can be purchased online or at any of our participating Philadelphia attractions.
Top 4 reasons you'll love CityPASS
See The Savings
How you save 46%
Plan your visit
Useful details to help
prepare you for your trip
Watch a video
See what you get with
View a booklet
Take a look inside a
Travel with us
Access us from the road
on your mobile device
Extra Value Coupons
Happy travelers since 1997