Top Ten New York Insider Tips
We collected these New York insider tips from tried-and-true New Yorker friends who know what they're talking about!
- New Yorkers are friendly! If you need help finding a good place to eat or shop, or if you need directions, just ask someone! Look for someone in work attire; chances are they're a New Yorker.
- New York City is a walking city. Even though it's also a fashion capital, lean towards sensible walking shoes over open-toed pumps with 3-inch heels, and let your feet do the walking between CityPASS attractions.
- Times Square is not just a one block area. Times Square is a major commercial intersection at the junction of Broadway and Seventh Avenue, and stretching from West 42nd to West 47th Streets. The extended Times Square area, also called the Theatre District, consists of the blocks between Sixth and Eighth Avenues from east to west, and West 40th and West 53rd Streets from south to north, making up the western part of the commercial area of Midtown Manhattan.
- New York City has the lowest crime rate of any major city in the United States!
- Central Park runs from 59th Street to 100th Street and is bounded by 5th Avenue on the east and Central Park West on the west. It's a haven of 843 scenic acres of green grass, rolling hills and beautiful flowers and trees. Feel free to explore the park from 8 a.m. until dusk without hesitation.
- New York City is one of the leading food capitols of the world! Don't be overwhelmed. Try a bit of everything... but don't miss the best pizza and bagels in the U.S.! And believe it or not, the cafes and restaurants in the CityPASS attractions are well-priced and serve amazingly good food!
- NYC & Company is the tourism bureau for New York City. Stop by their state-of-the-art Official NYC Information Center at 810 Seventh Avenue between 52nd and 53rd streets and speak with their travel advisors, who will help map out your NYC itinerary for free!
- The CitySights NY double-decker hop-on hop-off buses connect you to all of the top-flight CityPASS attractions, plus lots of other places of interest in New York City - and don't forget to use the coupon in the back of your CityPASS booklet, good for $5 off a 2-day hop-on hop-off tour.
- Visit hopstop.com to learn how to best navigate your way around the city, whether by foot, subway, bus or taxi. Hopstop will also fill you in on upcoming events and local deals, and help you locate nearby restaurants and bars. You can even download their app to your smartphone for free!
- Street meat is okay! Don't be afraid to try the hot dogs, hot pretzels, and newly tricked-out line of catering trucks all over the city. For gourmet fare, try the former site of Tavern on the Green; the best of the best food trucks are headquartered there. For other dining options, try menupages.com, where you can find options by neighborhood, cuisine, or price.
Enter One of Our Giveaways
Don’t miss your chance to win! Learn more.