Enter One of Our Giveaways
Don’t miss your chance to win! Learn more.
Subscribe to Our Blog
Recent New York Posts
- Where Should You Go On Vacation?
- 7 Reasons to Visit New York City This Summer
- An Insider's Look at The Met
- Insider tips and highlights at the American Museum of Natural History
- Don't Be An Annoying Traveler
Posts By City
- New York
- San Francisco
- Southern California
- Tampa Bay
10 Fun Activities To Do When Visiting New York
It has been said that many people spend more time planning their vacations than practically any other aspect of their lives. With today’s economic conditions, the need to fully develop a plan of attack for one’s next getaway seems perfectly reasonable.
For those interested in visiting New York, taking the time to understand the breadth and depth of choices available should ensure maximum effectiveness when it comes to getting the most of one’s vacation time and dollar.
The following list has brief descriptions of ten options one might choose from when sightseeing in New York. Realize there are tens of thousands of options and with a bit more in- depth research, a more fine-tuned, focused itinerary could be had to provide the perfect trip guaranteed to generate a lifetime of fond memories.
10 Interesting Things To Do In New York
- Madison Square Garden: From 1879, when the first MSG opened doors for a public event, to last year when the company went public, the Garden has been providing quality entertainment for all ages and every generation. There’s sure to be an event to your liking when you visit the city.
- NBC Studio Tour: Most folks think of NBC as a television network; however the National Broadcasting Company was in the radio business in NYC long before TV became a reality. Their studio tours have been in continuous operation since 1933. With a tour starting every 15 minutes and most lasting no longer than one hour, there is a good time waiting to be had by everyone.
- United Nations Tour: Even though there are times when the UN tours are momentarily cancelled due to security or high level meetings, taking the time to learn more about this amazing international collaboration is a great learning experience for people of all ages.
- Empire State Building: For the bravest, the 102nd floor observatory is practically at the top of the world in NYC. Those a little faint of heart should have no problem enjoying the views from the 86th floor. Either way, the views and experiences of the Empire State Building is an absolute must-do experience when visiting Manhattan.
- Ellis Island / Statue of Liberty: Originally the first stop for all incoming alien visitors hoping to relocate to New York and America, Ellis Island is a rich center of history and the gateway to visiting tours of the Statue of Liberty.
- Central Park Zoo: Seals, penguins and sea lions? In New York’s Central Park? Yes, the Central Park Zoo has all that and much more. Make sure to get to the zoo early to enjoy the bird photo safari, for pictures and memories that will last a lifetime.
- New York Harbor Cruises: Choose from a lazy afternoon cruise down one of the rivers on either side of Manhattan with amazing views of the skyline, or rev up the motors of a speedboat. Either way, there are a number of fine water tour companies to choose from when considering the aquatic angles.
- Museum of Modern Art (MOMA): Into art and history at all? Be sure to schedule the maximum amount of time to spend at MoMA. Open daily from 10:30am to 5:30pm (except Tuesdays when they are closed) the museum has rotating and permanent installations on display.
- Radio City Music Hall: Whether taking in a production or enjoying a tour of RCMH’s features, spending time in this historic play house is sure to be a treat long remembered.
- Madame Tussaud’s New York: Unlike some wax museums, the visitors can get up close and personal with the celebrity likenesses at Madame Tussaud’s. Bring your digital camera and several extra storage cards to capture all those once in a lifetime pictures!
That’s a lot to see in one trip, and costs can add up quickly. Get a great deal on admission to several of these must-see attractions, including the best museums in New York, with New York CityPASS. For more ideas, have a look at our top things to do in New York City page.